Did you know that the main reason that people become homeless is because they can't find housing they can afford?  Children suffer greatly from homelessness because this trauma occurs when their brains are still developing, putting them at risk for delayed development and struggling in school.

Basic facts about homelessness in the United States:

  • The National Alliance To End Homelessness states that there are 633,782 people experiencing homelessness on any given night in the US.

  • Of these people, 142,168 (22.1%) are children, 62,619 (13%) are veterans, and 269,991 (42.6%) are disabled and unable to work.

  • In 2016, specifically in NYC, 24,251 out of the 62,840 homeless people sleeping in the NYC municipal shelter system were children. (Coalition For the Homeless). 

  • According to US Department of Housing and Urban Development, on a single night in 2016, there were 35,686 unaccompanied homeless youth in January 2016.

  • Most (89%) were between the ages of 18 and 24.  The remaining 11% were unaccompanied children under the age of 18.

  • Between 2015 and 2016, the number of people experiencing homelessness declined by three percent. Declines were composed entirely of people staying in sheltered locations (which declined by 5%).